This time I set a priority and only waited 6 months. This should be my whole life. When I talk with people, educate them about the reality of DNA at Arrest vs DNA at conviction, about how many years rapist will be out running free and if they are in states where DNA is taken at conviction, they make get arrested 15 times over 20 years before their DNA is taken, as I help others become aware of facts I didn't know, I feel as if Brittany is reaching out. In addition, the kindness of strangers keeps me going strong every day as I get hugs, prayers, thumbs up as people drive by, a 20 bill here and there.
With this 10 CARAVAN costs are getting harder to cover. But like the past ones, I work alot of overtime so that those hours still make a paycheck while I travel. I have taken loans out on the equity of my cars. I tried to this week but a mistake on the credit report which they will correct but within a month made it impossible. But in the last 5 days unbelievable gifts have been pushed my way. Donations for the first time have reached $550. When people even donate $1-5 it begins covering gas on what is usually 6000 miles. I find it extremely hard to ask but I did recently and people are giving thru paypal. I am awed by their kindness!
As of today 4/8/12, about 98 reporters, in 45 states holding some of the 87 cities, have shared Brittany's story as if she was the girl next door.
I can never repay them!!!!
Email me at email@example.com
MY WISH IS THAT I COULD DO caravans ALL THE TIME NOT JUST ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR. THIS IS WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO!!!
THE WEEKEND OF 7/17/11, MY 09 NISSAN CUBE WAS WRAPPED BY FELLERS AND TULSA’S MIDWEST WRAPS AND THE NEXT DAY I STARTED DRIVIN TOWARDS THE 8TH CARAVAN!
The 9th CARAVAN is the 2nd generation, the 1st generation vehicle died around March (my guys at surfside kept it going 4 yrs/306000 miles. Had to rent 4 weeks after a winter where I lived on a few space heaters through 2-blizzards, my water heater exploded Dec. , couldn’t replace until Feb, and had a big tax bill due to fuloughs at work. Feared I lost the power of the CARAVAN Wrap but the vice pres of FELLER’s, the International vinyl company and Travis of Midwest Wraps, who donated the wrap last time -”Maggie, we want to donate it at little or no cost to you again.
******If you can’t donate then email/call/snail mail any national news that you heard about our CARAVAN!!! We need national coverage!**************I should do this on my own. I hate asking for help.
10/4/11-STILL NEED A PLACE TO PARK THE 1ST GENERATION CAR.-IF YOU EVER WANTED TO HELP BUT NO MONEY….ANYONE WHO HAS, OR WHO KNOWS OF SOMEONE WHO HAS, A PARKING LOT ON MAJOR ROADS-GROCERY STORE/AUTODEALER/MALL WHERE WE COULD PARK IT AS A MOVABLE BILLBOARD–WEEK–WEEKS–A MONTH–HELP GET HER STORY OUT.. IN TULSA (FOREMOST) OKLAHOMA CITY, STILLWATER, GUTHRIE, BARTLESVILLE, CLAREMORE..***OR HELP FIND A WAY TO TOW IT BACK TO CHANDLER
. Each heartbeat echoes pain of Brittany’s voice being silent.HER STORY–YES SHE WAS BURIED ON HER BIRTHDAY AFTER BEING DCEASED IN HER APARTMENT DEAD FOR 3 DAYS. That Monday evening 9/27/04, I talked to her over the phone like I always did after her class at the downtown campus of Tulsa Community College. She was tired, had tried to get into a walkin clinic because of nasal infections, couldn’t and decided to drive home. I said I’d help her get an appointment, said I loved her, said good night. She had a heavy class schedule the next two days, andwe usually didn’t talk. We talked on Thursdays to plan for her weekend visit to my house, 40 miles away. On 9/29 I called her (Wednesday) and wasn’t surprised she didn’t answer. When I called Thursday, I remember I left a slightly miffed message, noting she knew I worried when she didn’t call back, that she needed to let me know she was okay by calling me when she got home. I assumed she had an exam she was studying for and went to sleep.PROFILE OF BRITTANY’S KILLERREMEMBER THIS PROFILE…HE COULD BE FROM ANY CITY!ANYTHING FAMILIAR?REMEMBER THERE WERE NO WITNESSESES. THESE ARE POSSIBILITIES OF WHAT HE WOULD BE LIKE.PLEASE CALL DET.FELTON–TULSA POLICE- 9185969141 firstname.lastname@example.org TIPS 918 596-COPS IF ANYTHING SOUNDS EVEN A BIT FAMILIAR.WHAT HAPPENED: Rape and murder by suffocationWHERE: Inside her 2nd story apt (bedroom) NW end of complex (facing Storage Center) Somerset Park at Union Apartments (Was Gleneagles) next to Union High school –9407. 65th (65th & Mingo)HOW: Broke in either through balcony porch doors or windows, either before she came home from school OR after she came home. He could have been waiting for herWHEN: Between 9pm and 8am Sept 27-28, 2004, discovered Sept. 30 2004PROFILE—MALE(A) May be out alone at night (often)(B) May have sexual “problems” but either deny or focus intensely on such.(C) May be into high risk behaviors (pain, snuff films-sex related)(D) May always be angry or shows random explosive anger.(E) May or may not have been arrested for rape// but could have charges like” Endangering /Outrageous Public Indecency” (Those arrested for 1st degree rape often are only charged with misdemeanors like” endangering”).(F) May have traveled SEPT/OCT 2004(Southwest anywhere but when he returned,(G) He may have begun to act VERY different: —anxious, angry, depressed (not normal for him)-(H) He may have begun extensive drug/alcohol use in Oct but had rarely/never done so before—(I) once outgoing–now changed to isolation (J) He may have family/ friends in Oklahoma(K) He may drive I-35, I-44 or I-40(L) !!Could have public service job like: bill pay, cell phones, etc where he accesses customer addresses!!
WHY THE CARAVANS
Prior to the 1st CARAVAN TO CATCH A KILLER tour, we began to rule out 200, 400, 600 suspects by DNA comparison. I felt helpless. People had been responding to pictures in my car window thta a frienddid so started seeking a full wrap with no idea how money would come. Left a note for Traves owner of Midwest wraps and with a few days he and fellers vinyl decided to donate the WRAP.There are a few other main issues are behind the need (dif than purpose) for the CARAVANS.1) There is very little real time sharing of cold case/unsolved cases information between departments across US. They have news letters and individual websites but no cross reference or clearinghouse type website. So going to cities is a way to share.2) Many violent predators either plead down and/or aren’t charged and then leave the city once out of jail.3) States that don’t take DNA at arrest leave violent offenders out for 10-20 years before they get convicted. At conviction, sadly, the DNA is matched backwards over 20 years to 10-20 crimes.4) If you are not famous, rich, the murder/abduction, rape, etc. is not bizarre national news does not tell story so I must get story out myself. Once on CARAVANS I grew more aware of issues that were impeding ours and other investigations and probably contributed to Brittany’s and other violent crimes occurring at alarming rates. Each police department I visited noted the same issues, same facts. Thus the 2nd CARAVAN started having the DNA and rape laws as important a platform for raising awareness about these justice issues as was finding Brittany’s killer. We had to start trying to save other daughters.
ON 10/04/06 AT OUR 2ND YEAR ANNIVERSARY, HER APARTMENT COMPLEX,
- DNA and Rape law issues issues are:(1) Backlogs in getting DNA into national databases (1 month to 8 years from time someone goes to prison until it is in database)(2) the lack of early DNA retrieval (i.e. taking DNA at arrest from alleged offenders (All states now take DNA at conviction not a arrest. 23 states now have laws to take DNA at arrest but not all are funded). When a violent predator is finally charged w/a felony conviction, there are record after record of then matching his/her DNA backwards over 10-20 years to 10-20 unsolved crimes often including murder and rape. These crimes that occur while waiting for DNA at conviction are called PREVENTABLE CRIMES. If DNA was taken at arrest, by the 2nd or 3rd crime where DNA is found, they could be identified and taken off the street, would cut down on police work, lower unsolved and cold cases….it would save lives!(3) Lenient rape sentencing (short sentences, pleading down to misdemeanors w/no DNA taken or no charge at all) allow violent offenders back into our communities
- In the above ways,Brittany helps diminish the number of family members who will experience the most unfathomable loss, that of a child.Tulsa’s media calls Brittany’s murder “the most mysterious murder of and since 2004″ because sexual homicides do not occur in Tulsa and because the “normal FBI profile does not appear to be the answer (.within a 5 mile radius, someone familiar or having some contact with), because aspects of the murder seemed staged and because DNA swabs have ruled out most everyone that ever had contact with her.I realize we may never find Britt’s killer but I will travel as long as I can, as far as I can to carry her story down every US roadway... If not to find her killer, I hope that we help save other lives, by bringing awareness that, if laws aren’t changed, our children, our families continue to be at risk. Actually it is Brittany who is saving lives.The apartment Brittany was murdered in sits right next to Union High School in Tulsa where she graduated from a year prior. We never heard of any major crimes occurring there in those 5-6 years she attended school. Soon after her murder, we were extremely distressed to find out we had not been told of previous attacks/rapes that occurred at her complex (prior to her moving in).Specifically, an attack two buildings down–10 months before she moved in.People always comment on her mix of brains and beauty. With dark eyes, long blond curls, she stopped traffic wherever she went. She always drew people towards her with her beauty & kindness. Many high school friends wrote me ”I was always so surprised that someone so beautiful talked to a dork like me!”REMEMBER THESE ISSUES THAT POSSIBLY INCREASED CHANCES THAT THE MURDER OCCURED AND IMPEDE THE INVESTIGATION.
Sadly and angrily I fear that Brittany’s murder will be found to be a“Preventable Crime” .FORENSIC DNA IS NOT BIG BROTHER NOR DOES IT PUT PERSONAL INFORMATION AT RISK. There are only 14, what they call identifiers, of thousands of identifiers that make up each of our DNA profiles. Of these 14, 13 are “empty” which means they are specific to the person but do not identify anything, not sicknesses, not blood type, not anything. The 14th identifier only identifies whether the person is male or female. The name is kept separate from the sample when it is sent to the national data base. It is less accessible than fingerprints and stiff sentences and fees are set for breaking any DNA analysis rules (250,000 fine and 10 year felony). Samples at doctors’ offices are less secure and have more info than the forensic samples. Email me at address below for more info!
- The 6th CARAVAN actually was funded by an angel I will call GEMrainbow. SHe is unbelievable and wants to reain anonymous. Those funds also gave us the headstone which was just set on 10.4.10
- CURRENT AND ALMOST CURRENT EVENTSA month before 6th anniversary 9/1/10 for the 3rd year in a row. sometime between a month and/or up to Brittany’s anniversary of her death/birthday (buried on 19th birthday ) something happens that totally stops my car, costs more money, takes away from impact and/or money to be raised during whatever anniversary event I have had.The car this year was in shop for 3 weeks. They discovered the engine block has been cracked for a few years. BUT STILL WHY THAT TOWN?????
SOMMERSET AT UNION BANNED US FROM POSTING POSTERS ABOUT THE MURDER!!!
- PAST CAR EVENTS Last year I had Bowling for Brit on 10/4/10. On 9/27/09 and 9/28/09, the days she was allegedly murdered, 1st on 9/27 the mother cat I had bought Brit in 99 died, on 9/28 the daughter cat of the mother died and on 9/29, driving to Tulsa to advertise the event at the state fair for 3-4 days, my car breaks down in front of the police station and wasn’t ready until the morning of the event (her 24th b-day and 5th anniversary of burial). It cost 900 to fix and only the regs showed (who come to the memorial service at grave site). In 08, two days before a Brittany’s Bazaar on 10/3/08, to raise funds for reward. again the car breaks down, cost 800.
I cannot ask why this keeps happening, it just does. But still my heart gets a litle heavier each time it happens because itis around her anniversary and it just brings home the loss of her even more. It gets me tired but I will keep on, somehow, until I can’t anymore.INTERESTING DEVELOPMENTS AND NOTES
NEW 11/4/10 We did a media story exactly a year after I learned Brittany had been buried wrong by past owners Service Corporation International (SCI) and we made a media announcement that we will have to unbury her to make sure nothing else (That SCI is known for) has occured with BrittanyOn 10/4/09 After 5 years, I was informed by the current owners of Rose Hill cemetery that Brittany had been buriedin the wrong plot—actually a non plot— a portion of the cemetery that was slated to be a walkway..A staff at Rose Hill told me about money donated for a monument for Brittany and stated “I am glad the problem is fixed, aren’t you? ” I said “stop!! What are you talking about.” He told me that2 weeks prior some people from the Temple that helped bury Brittany were out surveying current maps of the cemetery and just briefly mentioned, “You know Brittany Phillips is not buried in the right spot?” The Temple, the Rabbi have yet to inform me!Through conversations and my own research I discovered that (SCI) (Please look them up on the web), company sold Rose hill in 2005-2006. Brittany was buried in 04.My God they squeezed her in, in an area later slated to be a gravel pathway through the cemetery, that, at the end of her container, there is very little space between hers and the casket east of her, squeezed up against its end.Was SCI continueing practices that now have lawsuits by families across at least 7 states!****************************************************************************************
SCI has a monopoly of cemeteries and creamatoriums, Some call them the DEATH INDUSTRY. Their behaviors, the company’s atrocities, have hit hundreds of people.
LAWSUITS against this company from Florida-Menorah Gardens, California (Eden Hills) West Virginia, Houston,Pensyvania, LAs Vegas and more. Their unethical, cruel criminal behaviors have included burying people in wrong graves, embaming wrong, taking bodies out of caskets to reuse, workers being ordered (many are now sueing) to crack the vaults around the caskets to be able to fit more caskets in an area, not storing verteransremains correctly, etc, etc (sic!) !!!!!!!!
How can I be comfortable with. Knowing she was squeezed into a non plot I have to at least see if the vault is cracked to the point of walls falling in (cracks will occur after five years in a concrete but not major damage) but will I recognize the casket, will I trust that she is in there. Did she come fully entombed from the funeral home? Can I be comfortable withoiut checking to make sure she is still inside. Sadly I will have to disintern and rebury my daughter.
- I CALLED SCI No Surprise- The SCI service rep kept telling me I had to deal with the current owners andif they SCI ever had this prob with a company they bought, they would take care of it but they couldn’t really talk to me about it andnot just an agent working there, had to talk to the owners…very interesting. I sure as hell will be there during at least one conversation. I contacted the Washington Post write on one of the stories below. Said he hadn’t heard much about OK (there have ben1-3 mom pop cemeteries that SCI hurt) AT first he like others seemed to think I knew this all along. Think I finally got him to understand that although the day of the funeral I said to my dad (he reminded me) this is n’ttheright place. With the trauma of the murder investigation I totally spaced on that.
- SERVICE CORPORATION MEDIA STORIES
FALL 2010 CARAVAN during the NAMUS training. Thank you Amarillo for a great first story, Albaquerque and all the people who even after 5 days post story stopped and let me know they heard the story, Abaline—the Newspaper and ABC-you gave us a gift. All we can do is keep telling the story, into as many cities as possible.WINTER-DEC 2010 After staying with neice and family as she worked way thru a scary brain aneurysm, I came home thru snow in Rochester, Buffalo (4 hrs on highway) Ft. Wayne and INdy. SNow in each city but in Ft. Wayne great newspaper story by Frank Gray and in St. Louis MAggie Crane CBS!!!! Thanks to all who on road or in city showed support!